By Brian Thomas Perrow/
Associated Students Election Coordinator

At 5:44 p.m. it was brought to my attention by Jamie Hoover that the E-ballot system was no longer online. At 5:23 p.m. she received word that the ballot had shut down at 4 p.m. Pacific Standard Time. While setting up the E-ballot for the 2006 AS Elections a human error was made in regards to the time that was set. Eastern Standard Time was not taken into consideration when inputting the final times for the ballot to close. Votenet Solutions the company contracted out by the Associated Students was contacted by Jamie in regards to this problem after hearing that the voting had shut down prematurely. To compensate for this premature voting cut off period, Votenet Solutions was asked to extend the voting time till 8 p.m. PST. The ballot went back online prior to 6 p.m. PST.

Candidates running in the AS elections were notified at 6:08 p.m. of the extension of time. Following these phone calls the current AS Board of Directors President was notified of the problems that had taken place and the extension of the voting time. At 6:21 p.m. emergency advertisement was purchased on a social network called to alert students at Western Washington University that the hours were extended. The amount of $15 dollars for 30,000 postings was spent. KUGS the student run radio station was also notified to run announcements over the air of this extension of time.

At 7:05 p.m. it was brought to my attention by a student named Stacy Pederson that voting had been deactivated prematurely before the new 8 pm deadline. Votenet Solutions was contacted to resolve this situation. The company was contacted at the following times: 7:10, 7:14, 7:18, and 7:21. A representative from the company responded back to the voice messages that were left with the company support line at 7:36 p.m.
Voting was again restored at 7:42 p.m. and the ballot time was extended to 8:40 p.m. to compensate for the time displacement.

At each juncture of this situation the account representative Sharee Worton was notified by email of the corrections made and the actions taken to resolve this situation.