Disability Outreach Center

The AS Disability Outreach Center (DOC) is a resource for students with disabilities and community allies. The DOC provides information, referrals and educational programming relating to disability topics in order to provide students with a connection to community resources, raise awareness and to advocate for their human and civil rights. The DOC also provides a safe space for all students, community building and social programming. We are located in Viking Union 722 in the Multi-Cultural Center.

Accessibility Complaints

For comments and complaints related to digital barriers and digital accessibility please fill out the Western Accessibility Barrier Form. For comments and complaints related to campus physical accessibility barriers, please email as.disability@wwu.edu with the subject line "ACCESSIBILITY COMPLAINT".

Disability Resources

Western Washington University Resources

Disability Access Center (DAC) WL 170

The DAC can help you obtain accommodations. They serve many students with a variety of conditions. If you are unsure if you would qualify for their services, reach out anyway they will do their best to help you. If you would like peer advocate to help talk you through how to get accommodations, which accommodations are available, or to advocate on your behalf at accommodations meetings, feel free to reach out to a DOC staff member.

Civil rights and Title IX compliance office OM 345

This office is responsible for ensuring that Western complies with federal civil rights guidelines including those listed under Title IX. If you believe that your civil rights have been violated contact this office.

Structural Equity and Bias response team (SEBRT)

The job of the SEBRT is to support individuals who experience bias incidents and to train the Western community about how to improve in the future. You can report a bias incident to SEBRT by clicking on the icon on the top right corner of MyWestern that says “report bias” or on the SEBRT website.

Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic AI 394

The department of communication sciences and disorders offers a variety of clinics and services for different types of communications disorders; they also have a hearing aid bank available for people with financial need. There are treatment options available for people of all ages. They are funded based on donations; donating is not required to receive services. The clinic accepts referrals from “physicians, educators, other speech-language-hearing professionals, allied health service providers, and directly from clients, as well.”

WWU Counseling Center OM 540

The counseling center offers a variety of services including short term individual counseling, couples counseling, group counseling, workshops, and crisis services. If you have paid the health service fee, then you are eligible to receive services.

Academic Technology and User Services (ATUS) HH 123

ATUS has services to facilitate digital accessibility for members of the Western community. These services include accessible web design training, laptop loans, speech to text software, screen reader software. They can also help you set up accessibility features on your computer or mobile device.

Ershig Assistive Technology Resource Center (E-ATRC) MH 001

The E-ATRC is a resource center that lends out various assistive technology tools. Their goal is to “increase awareness and use of assistive technologies in order to improve participation in life and increase access to learning for a wide range of individuals with diverse needs.

Student Health Center Campus Services 2nd floor

The student health center offers basic medical care services, including same day appointments for urgent visits. Their services include primary care, reproductive health, and psychiatric health services. They also can refer you to medical specialists in the greater Whatcom area, which may in some cases elevate the burden of seeking a primary care doctor in the Bellingham area. Any student who has paid the health and wellness fee is eligible for services.

Veteran Services WL 165

Veteran Services offers up-to-date services and resources to support veterans, reservists, and their dependents who are using their GI Bill educational benefit. They have step by step guides, links to forms, and various other resources.  If you have questions about your benefits, reach out to Veteran Services.

Western Hub of Living Essentials (WHOLE)

The goal of WHOLE is to provide students experiencing food insecurity with living essentials including non-perishable food and personal care products.

Disability Studies and Action Collaborative (DSAC)

The purpose of this collaborative is to create more disability studies experiences along the West Coast. This includes beginning the process of creating a disability studies minor and institute at Western Washington University, as well as hosting open collaborative events like the Unconference.

Accessible parking spaces on campus

This website will direct you toward information about accessible parking spaces on campus, as well as how to obtain an accessible parking pass.

Please contact the Disability Access Center if you are looking for accommodations in classes.