Veteran's Outreach Center
The AS Veteran Community Coordinator is responsible for coordinating events and fostering community among student Veterans while working closely with both the Veteran Services Office and the Associated Students.
This is an Associated Students (AS) position that is funded by the AS and oversees a programming budget allocated by the AS. The Veteran Community Coordinator will stay closely connected to two departments: the Veteran Services Office (VSO) in Old Main and the Viking Union/Associated Students, and the position is supervised by these two areas as well. The large majority of the work hours will be spent working in the VSO planning events and connecting with the community of student veterans who visit that office. Other hours will be spent in meetings in the Viking Union and utilizing the services in the VU, such as the Publicity Center, Events Services, Reservations, etc.
Valuable, up-to-date, Veteran Benefits information
Veteran advocacy at WWU
Employment and Work Study opportunities on and off-campus
Annual Veterans Day Ceremonies
Information fairs and workshops
Social events for Veterans, military personnel, and supporters
Answers to your questions
Veteran Life and Benefits
- "American Federal Jobs"
- A complete directory of Federal Career Opportunities
- "The Book of US Government Jobs"
- Where they are and what's available and how to get one
- "Changing Step" by Ruth Jolly
- Transition from Military life to civilian life
- "The Veterans Survival Guide"
- How to file and collect VA claims
Basic Training and Training
- "The Real Insider's Guide to Military Basic Training" by Peter Thompson
- A recruiters guide of important secrets and hints to successfully complete boot camp
- "To Benning and Back" by 2Lt Monroe Mann
- The making of a citizen soldier Journals of daily life at Basic Training and OCS
The Iraq War
- "Back in Action" by Cpt David Rozelle
- Written by the first amputee to return to Iraq
- "In the Company of Soldiers?? by Rick Atkinson
- Written by a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist
- "Desert Dogs" by Russ Bryant and Amy Goodpaster Strebe
- Photo journalism of Marines in Iraq
- "Generation Kill?? by Evan Wright
- A journalist's account of Marine Recon during the first assault in Iraq
The Vietnam War
- "The Vietnam Veterans Memorial" by Michael Katakis
- Collection of photographs depicting the pain and sorrow surrounding the men and women who visit the wall
- "Vietnam" by Larry Burrows
- An extensive and powerful depiction of missions in Vietnam. Brilliant color photos Other Wars"
- "Shooting Under Fir"? The World of the War Photographer by Peter Howe
- A powerful collection of photos taken from the best war photographers in the world