What is WOOT!?
Western Outdoor Orientation Trips are a unique opportunity to spend a week in the wilderness exploring your new backyard while getting to know other incoming students and gaining some great outdoor skills. WOOT! takes place the week before the beginning of fall quarter which offers an enhanced orientation experience, which will support you in your transition to the Western community.
Get Ready for the Adventure of a Lifetime!!
This year we are going to have 7 backpacking trips offered for incoming freshman! We will be exploring areas in the North Cascades, Mount Baker Wilderness and the Chuckanut Mountains. Trip dates are Sept. 15th - 21st 2013.
Online registration will open on Saturday June 8th at 10am on this website. Limited spots are available!
If you have any questions regaring WOOT! contact Marli Williams at (360) 650-7592 or email
Here is what students have said about trips in the past:
"WOOT! has definitely eased my nerves about starting college... and I feel safe because I will always have a strong base of friends at school who will be there for me... I loved our laughs and I love these people. I love WOOT! And I will be on many more trips with the Outdoor Center. I don't know what could be better." - 2010 WOOT! Participant
"I think WOOT! has given me not only a new group of friends before school even starts, but also the confidence and sense of self-worth that will help me make new friends and have a successful experience at Western." - 2011 WOOT! Participant
- What are the dates of the trip?
- September 15-21st 2013
- Who participates?
- This trip is open to any incoming freshman at Western.
- What if I have never been camping before?
- Don’t worry, your trip leaders will teach you all the basic skills you will need to know to be comfortable in the outdoors.
- How much does each trip cost?
- All the trips cost $400 - which includes early move-in transportation, trip leaders, group gear and awesome food!
- I am from out-of-state, when do I need to arrive?
- You will need to be here by noon on Sunday Sept. 15th to move your belongings into the room you will be in for the year before activities begin at 2pm.
- When do we get back to campus on Sept. 21st?
- All trips will arrive back to campus by 4pm on Saturday Sept. 21st
- Do I need any special equipment?
- The Outdoor Center will provide all the group camping equipment. You will need to bring a backpack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, personal clothing and hiking boots. A detailed equipment list will be sent to you after you register for a trip.
- What kind of shape do I need to be in?
- We will be physically active for 6 days, hiking with a 50-60 lb. backpack so conditioning for your trip will improve your experience. The trips vary in difficulty and based on your fitness level, you will be put on the best trip for you!
- Who are the Trip Leaders going to be?
- Your trip leaders consist of experienced instructors, guides and have worked extensively with college students in the outdoors. All of the leaders have wilderness first aid training and know how to have a good time in the woods.
- Can I bring my cell phone, ipod, iphone or personal computer?
- Nope. But, there is no need to worry, you will have a great time and meet lots of amazing people!
- What happens in the case of an emergency on the trip?
- Trip leaders are trained to handle any emergency that may arise.
- Will my family be able to contact me if there is an emergency at home?
- Yes. Your family can contact the Outdoor Center and trip leaders will be notified of the situation and be able to make arrangements.